Saturday, June 21, 2008

Which Brings us Back To D'oh!



Plan A = FAILED
Plan B = FAILED
Plan Bb = REJECTED BY PARENTS
Plan C(ape May) = REJECTED BY E&E

That brings us to Plan D. After realizing that any type of destination wasn't really an option, I decided to move forward with Plan D(IMBY). [Plan Definitely in my Backyard.] While Mr. F and I dreamed of a warm destination wedding on the water, we realized it wasn't going to happen in the tropics of BVI or Florida. But Maryland has one of the most lovely natural bodies of water in the States - the Chesapeake Bay. And while a one year engagement was ideal (destination wedding was to be in January), there was no reason we couldn't just get married in the warm May weather in the U-S-of-A. So we decided to look right in our own backyard and scope out options right over the Bay Bridge (which by the way, is one of the prettiest drives over a bridge there is...that is, if you can get over the fact that it's really high and there are very small little bumpers on the side instead of those really high strong steel ones that make you feel safe...and if your driver - Mr. F - doesn't look out at the water instead of the road) on Maryland's Eastern Shore.

Mr. F and I decided to make a weekend of it. We would stay at one of the potential hotel options and have Maryland crabs (potential rehearsal dinner - so fun, right?) and walk around the towns of Easton and St. Michael's during the day in between taking a look at the venues. We had 6 different options. Options galore in fact.

The first option was an Inn right on the water (we could actually say our "I Do's" right on a boat off the dock while our guests sat on the dock - how cool is THAT?), and the people were sweet, but definitely a bit run-down for our taste. (And the carpet and walls were a little too Joseph and the Technicolor Dreamcoat for my taste - I was overpowered by the desire to break in to song and use excessive amounts of jazz hands - but that song was NOT Canon in D and I'm not sure if Fosse has a place in my processional). The second option was a gorgeous old restored hotel. The reception room had gorgeous high ceilings and soft light coming through floor to ceiling windows. But it didn't have a back up plan for the outdoor ceremony. (And E&E is fully expecting it to rain on her wedding day. Sorry, but I'm more of a half empty kinda gal. Actually, I take it back - I'm more of a "The waiter hasn't brought my glass yet, but I'm going to guess it will be half empty, because if I expect it to be half full, then I will surely be disappointed; whereas if I expect it to be empty but it's full (hopefully of a nice Zinfandel), then I am wonderfully and happily surprised!!).

Where was I? Yes, Option 3. Was Perfect.

1 comment:

CaitStClair said...

Have I mentioned I'm loving your blog titles? Genius.